Tuesday 19 March 2013

Blabber McBlabberson - Interview tips



What not to do in a job interview

Don't pretend you know what you're talking about: If the interviewer asks you something you don't understand do not answer with nonsense that is in no way relevant to the question and throwing in words you think will impress, they will not and you will look silly and end up babbling. This will only enhance your nerves and will get you nowhere.  Ask them to repeat the question or give an example, they'll respect your honesty.

Try not to repeat yourself over and over again: Yes you might be a little nervous, especially if the job is one you really want but/or feel you have little experience in. This happened to me recently and I ended up word vomiting all over the poor woman. I made myself out to be more skilled than I was and backtracking when she asked for examples. Oops. This is why I don't lie, I can't!

Make sure not to go to the wrong interview: As silly as this may sound, this has actually happened to me. Luckily I was in the right building, on the right floor just got ushered to the wrong office. I was sat there with a bunch of executive looking people (you'd have thought this would have sent alarm bells ringing, but no), then the interviewer mentioned a previous interview we'd all supposed to have had, and started getting us to make notes on something I had zero knowledge in. I had by then realised I was in the wrong interview but sat there casually until somebody came in and dragged me out...

Don't over-sell yourself: There is a very fine line between confidence and arrogance, a very very fine line. Try to avoid words such best, better, fantastic but try and use highly skilled, exceptionally and well-recognised. Give examples where you've shone in your previous jobs but limit them to one example every few questions. However you can twist the truth, just be careful and ready to back-up.

Probably best if you don't drink hot chocolate and sit on the same leg previously: Again, this happened to me. I was just 19 and it was my third interview. The interview itself went well, I impressed them with my ambition to progress, made them laugh, asked the right questions so I was allowed to feel a little smug when I walked off. Well, hobbled. The whole time I had my leg crossed over the other and lost all feeling and to make it worse I checked my reflection and noticed I had hot chocolate on my cheek. Safe to say I didn't hear back.


Do dress appropriately:  From my experience it's best to do a little research before your interview, find out about the company. If they are a hard-hitting business corporation suit up! If they are a relaxed 'everybody's best pals here' type then suit up casually. Example, smart dress teamed with a colourful blazer or for gents a nice shirt and trousers, no tie.

Do research the business: Find out how the business came about, it's successes and it's current ventures but don't sound scripted. They already know about their business they are here to interview you, just ensure you've done background reading in-case they ask you what you know about them. It'll be #awkward when you know nothing about the company you wish to work for.

'HAHAHAHAHA - You are so funny!'
and lastly the three S's SMILE SHINE SEDUCE: Be a happy, smiley, confident individual no matter how nervous you may be. Think about if you were doing the interviewing  Would you want you to work for you? Nobody likes a miserable cow even if they are just nerves. Shine, if you're highly skilled let them know. As I've said before, be prepared for examples as they will try and catch you out. Seduce them, I don't mean this sexually. Nobody wants to succeed this way, make them want you for your skills, your personality and your ambition. Think what you could bring from the company and what you'd like to take from them.

Have you got any interview tips? Any embarrassing experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment