Thursday 4 April 2013

Job rejection generation.



My last article featured interview tips and advice as I consider myself an expert I've had that many, well, I did. Lately the job front has been as slow as a slug riding a tortoise.I'm not sure about yourselves but, as a 22-year-old partially qualified young professional I am finding harder than I originally thought to find a job. I'm not talking serving food to middle aged couples or pouring cocktails for the wild youth but a proper job, a stepping stone into a career.

Most young people will admit to not having a clue as to what they'd like to do with their lives, even those at universities have little thought as to where their degree will take them. I am one of them. I know what I'd like to do as a dream job and what I need to do to get there it's just the nitty-gritty in-between that leaves me clueless.

As a university dropout (a decision that took a lot of thinking and one I do not regret) I am finding it harder to find even a simple office job but even graduate friends are having similar problems. We see in the news that unemployment has fell 14,000 between October and December to 2.5 million, especially in 16-24 band, but I can bet you that this is mostly made up of part timers. What about us who want a fresh start, a new challenge.

My CV is made up of retail, catering, bar work and waitressing with a 6 month experience in administration. I wish employers would look at this! I have the experience god darn it, albeit 6 years ago but what more do they want? Most jobs states they are looking for an already experienced Assistant with two years in a similar role, but why can't my customer service skills from current job be taken in. Same thing. I have great organisational skills, great customer service and a sponge like brain. I only need one employer to give me the break I need so I can start my career whilst I'm still young. Plenty of friends my age are in similar minimum wage jobs and it saddens me to think this is shrugged off as the norm. It's not as though I'm applying for jobs out of experience, I am a realist. I am fully aware of my strengths and weaknesses but all I appear to get is 'thanks for your application but unfortunately the position has been filled'. I just scan the email looking for that word and don't bother reading on.

I'm optimistic I will get a job soon it's just a case of when and I know it's just a case of somebody else being a little more qualified/experience than me not being good enough. I've even started a college course in hope an extra qualification will give me that extra push. Fingers crossed not only for myself but for the rest of my fellow job rejection generation.

*correct as of Feb 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment