Monday 8 April 2013

Hey, it's okay

...to have a girl crush.

Blimey, I have a several a day. Miss Pervert is what I shall now be known as if you please. I mean this in a completely straight way (nothing wrong with lesbians, I'm pro same-sex love) but I am forever checking girls out.

Okay, yes more so than what they are wearing than what they are packing but I don't feel they realise this. I'm not a hand in pants sitting at the back of the bus type pervert, I will just notice beautiful people. Male or female.  I just love anyone who knows how to dress for their shape, whilst looking good. 


London Fashion Week '13
I once saw a girl in a simple get-up; black cropped trousers, black top with an oversized tweed jacket accessorized with (my current obsession) a chunky necklace. I prefer the more reserved style. Simplicity with effort. Somebody like Rita Ora, as gorgeous as she is, is the opposite to my style but each to their own. My style has been described ‘vintage granny chic’, they are really not my own words. I don’t purposely dress to a certain style. I’ll throw things together and if it looks good, I’ll wear it. I have constant 'I have nothing to wear days/where are my clothes?' days like the rest of us. I can't  just try on one outfit in the morning. It’s like five and then put on what we wore to start with. There are days I look generic if I’m heading to work, looking smoking in my too big for me jeans and black shirt and there are days I’ll make an extra bit of effort. I get bored easily with some items but, like most of us, have our beloved trusty statement pieces. Those blazers, those black boots, that staple blouse.
Style crush alert - Ne-Naw
Elegance and simplicity
 - Palermo style
My style girl crush is probably 99% girls on the street, girls in magazines and few celebs like Olivia Palermo (left)  who is the Queen of elegance without even trying and Fearne Cotton who likes to wow with daring prints or keeps it fresh, scruffy and vintage (so cringey, I know. And cliche) pictured right.  I hardly talk about my fashion influences because it people don’t really care. Friends will say they like something I’m wearing, I’ll say where I got it and conversation is over. We shouldn't be afraid to be like that with strangers. So many times I’ve asked a customer at work, in the street or in the queue in Topshop where they got their necklace/dress/shoes from, not so I can go and clone their outfit but just because it’s nice to see how other people dress certain items of clothing. Plus it gives a nice confidence boost to a stranger! Nothing puts a smile on your face than an unexpected compliment, even if it is from the crazy girl behind you in the queue.
My summer must haves are as always trusty nautical theme, bright pencil skirts, lots of stripes, cropped t-shirts, pleats, a-line skirts, brown wedges and lots of Aztec print. I don't like monochrome mainly because it doesn't suit my pastey skin. Accessories I just love trashy gold pieces. Lots of it. Think Pat Butcher on crack.


So, if you see me looking at you or occasionally double glancing please don’t be creeped out. It just means your outfit is smokin’. Like totally.
(sampled from a previous blog post)

No comments:

Post a Comment